Tuesday, March 31, 2015

start dreamin' big, people

i'm in a class this semester on career management. it's really very insightful- i initially registered for it because my advisor told me that it is a GPA booster (there aren't enough of those in the business school) and that i would probably find it pretty interesting. i unassumingly signed up for it, not knowing what i was going to get myself in to.

my professor is a cool guy- former baylor football player, funny and hard of hearing, like myself (the hard of hearing part.. ha). he has recently been asking us if we know what we want to do post-college and talking to us about what we would do if we could do anything in the world. it's gotten the wheels in my head turning without a doubt. for as long as i've been at baylor, the path after college has been pretty clear. i never gave much thought to doing anything other than getting my degree in HR and then going to get my masters of health care administration and hopefully work in a children's hospital in texas. i'm passionate about people, i love the idea of how rewarding being in the health care industry is, the job is secure and it pays well. sounds like a good gig to me.

it wasn't until recently that i came to the realization that there is not just one perfect job for me. i just figured that my current degree plan was the result of a bunch of little decisions i made that were now adding up: i applied to baylor as a business major, i got in, i registered for those business classes, i decided that accounting/finance/economics/management sounded awful (sorry to all of my accounting/econ/management professors- you're all lovely people but i think you'd be the first to tell me that i shouldn't pursue those fields) and so now i find myself looking at human resources, the most people-oriented major in the business school.

is there one option that is better for me than another? certainly so.. but is there a right option? that i'm not so sure of. over the past month, i've had random people who all mean a great deal to me, but don't know each other mention that they see creativity in me. that makes sense- ever since i was a little girl, i've been drawing and taking pictures of people and writing. my mind has always drifted to the romantic, the idealistic, the dreamy. truthfully, i've never considered those things as a career option... but why?

that now puts me at a place of thinking about what it is that i want to do with my life. i want to do something that i love, but more than that, i want to do the thing that will bring God the most glory possible by utilizing the gifts that he has given specifically to me. whether that's in a hospital or in front of a canvas or behind a camera or something else i'm completely unaware of at this time will be fun to watch unfold. because He always has something fun up His sleeve.

please don't ignore the dreams you have and the things you want to do that you're not sure are realistic. emily p. freeman, author of 'a million little ways', pushes her readers to think about why it is that we so often assume that pursuing the things that we want to pursue can only be done at the expense of our responsibilities. really though- what if we each desire to do certain things because God created us a certain way- not to make us miserable or tease us while we do something we hate, but to actually mold us into becoming more like him, for his glory and for the benefit of others? what if the thing that we most long for, those things that we can't stop thinking about or keep wishing we could do, is the thing we were actually made for and are being equipped to do?

"the Shepherd laughed too. 'I love doing preposterous things,' He replied. 'why, I don't know anything more exhilarating and delightful than turning weakness into strength, and fear into faith, and that which has been marred into perfection.. that is my special work,' He added with the light of a great joy in his face. 'transforming things- to take Much-Afraid, for instance, and to transform her into-" He broke off and then went on laughingly. 'well, we shall see later on what she finds herself transformed into." -hinds' feet on high places

No comments:

Post a Comment