Friday, December 19, 2014

Choosing Tri Delta

I love that God's hand of provision is over whatever we do and wherever we go. I have been reflecting on this semester over the past few days, thanking Him for all of the friendships He's continued to strengthen and the new relationships that have been forged. Now that I've had some time to slow down and process some of what He was up to, I'm already excited about what next semester has in store, starting with recruitment.

These are the girls that I've grown to love, the girls that I spend my weekends with and the girls I eat way too much Torchy's queso with. They are my prayer warriors, my home team, my middle-of-the-night, no-matter-what people. I didn't have the opportunity to go through recruitment at Baylor, and that is what makes being a Baylor Tri Delta all the more remarkable. These women are an answer to months of prayer-- they will never have any idea how refreshing and reassuring their placement in my life has been (although I hope to try and let them know)!


When you think about it, the sorority that you join becomes a lot of who you are in your 4 years at Baylor. You want to make sure to pick a group of girls that will help you grow into the best version of yourself. When I was going through recruitment, my mom told me it was like when you're starting to date a boy: "When it's right, you just know it." When it came to pref night, I just knew. I made my choice and walked out of the voting room confident that I had made the right decision.

So why pick Tri Delta, you ask? Where do I even begin?
First of all, I love what we stand for. The very beginnings of Tri Delta were founded on the idea of being a society that is "kind alike to all members and think of a woman's inner self rather than her personal appearance." In a world full of negative stereotypes about sororities, it's nice to remember that the foundation of this group that I associate myself with has its roots in something deeper than the physical.

The members of this chapter are undoubtedly some of the best people I've ever met. The very first time I hung out with them, I could tell that this was what college was supposed to be about. They are quick to take an interest in you, hear your story and ask you questions. They are genuinely kind people. They love others so well.

I also love Tri Delta's commitment to St. Jude. It's the thing that links all Tri Delta chapters together. Every single member has a personal reason why they love that hospital and it's inspiring to listen to how passionate they are about it. And with good reason: Tri Delta as a whole is currently in the middle of raising $60 million in 10 years for the children of St. Jude to open Tri Delta Place, a short-term housing facility for the families of patients undergoing treatment. Families never have to pay a dime whenever their kids are receiving treatment, and that includes their housing. Baylor's chapter raised over $100,000 last year, and we're so proud to serve St. Jude by doing our part to keep the doors open for another day.

Social events, football games and Sing have formed some of my favorite Baylor memories. We've had a Gatsby themed semi-formal, a glow in the dark themed semi, formals, a Boots and Bowties themed take a date, Country Christmas and a date dash to Cameron Park Zoo. We had Tri Delts all over the TV during College GameDay and I rushed the field with a bunch of my friends after we beat TCU. And we placed 2nd in Sing this year! It's been the best year and a half and I can't wait for the next year and a half.


If you can't tell already, I love these people and this sorority with all of my heart. They are hilarious, caring, fun women who are truly a reflection of Jesus' love. If you're a freshman reading this, I hope you will come to love Tri Delta as much as we do! We can't wait to meet all of you in a couple of weeks.

“Everybody has a home team: It’s the people you call when you get a flat tire or when something terrible happens. It’s the people who, near or far, know everything that’s wrong with you and love you anyways. These are the ones who tell you their secrets, who get themselves a glass of water without asking when they’re at your house. These are the people who cry when you cry. These are your people, your middle-of-the-night, no-matter-what people.” -Shauna Niequist

No comments:

Post a Comment